Monday, July 17, 2006

Summer reading

During the summer, I love to sit out on the porch or sit indoors (depending on the temperature) and read, read, and read some more. I can never get my hands on enough books! While we do have a reading list of recommended books, I thought I'd list the books I'm reading and why I like them.



A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot
My mom recently picked up this book for me and I have eagerly devoured it. Amy Carmichael has been one of my heroines and her life story is very inspiring to me. Mrs. Elliot writes this biography with great depth and brings to life many wonderful things in Amy's life and missions work in India.

Jonathan Edwards: Basic Writings
I don't have muh to say about this book, as I have just started it. The few pages that I've read have blown my mind away. I am amazed at the wisdom Edwards possessed.

How to Study Your Bible by Kay Arthur
It's one thing to read your Bible but it's another thing to actually study it. There are many times when I've read my Bible and have wanted to study it indepth, but never knew how. Mrs. Arthur has written such a book that has been a big blessing as I study God's Word. She introduces simple steps to help you study and learn the Bible even deeper. I'd encourage you to pick up a copy today!

Girl Talk by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Mahaney Whitacre (of Girl Talk).
Hannah has told me this book is an awesome mother/daughter book to read. While I haven't bought the book yet, I'm hoping to pick it up soon and go through it with my mom. We enjoy sitting at Starbucks and sipping lattes while talking...I'm sure this will give us some great material to discuss!

What are you reading this summer?

Pictured above: Part of my antique book collection.

Labels: