Monday, June 23, 2008

Feeling Funky?

My mom likes calling it a "funk." I'm not sure what to call it, except an emotional roller coaster that seems to speed nowhere but down. You know what I mean: Bad Days.

How to escape the funk?

Common sense says proper sleep, exercise, eating right, and getting out in the sun for a while can get those endorphins pumping and brighten your day. But I'm learning that a great deal of my Bad Days can be traced to spiritual issues. Things like doubt, fears, and self-trust can billow up when I'm experiencing the blues.

Here's a list of questions and scriptures I've compiled to help fight the funk:

Am I reminding myself of God's truth?

"My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings....for they are life to those who find them and health to all their body." -Proverbs 4:20-22

Am I regarding sin in my heart?

"If I regard wickedness in my heart, the Lord will not hear." -Psalm 66:18

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise." -Psalm 51:17

Am I continuing doing what is right, in spite of my emotions?

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap, if we do not grow weary." -Galatians 6:9

Am I feeling all alone?

"For such is our God, forever and ever; He will guide us until death." -Psalm 49:14

Am I feeling like the first of God's people to ever be depressed?

"No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it." -1 Corinthians 10:18

Are my emotions based off circumstances or God's enduring faithfulness?

"Rejoice in the Lord always." -Philippians 4:4

"Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." - Psalm 62:8

Labels: