Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Emperor of San Francisco and Other Great Delusions

"At the peremptory request and desire of a large majority of the citizens of these United States, I, Joshua Norton, formerly of Algoa Bay, Cape of Good Hope, and now for the last 9 years and 10 months past of S. F., Cal., declare and proclaim myself Emperor of these U. S…”

With that notice printed in various local newspapers, in September of 1859, Joshua Norton declared himself “Emperor of the U.S.” and later, “Protector of Mexico.” Parading around town with a saber and plumed hat, “Emperor Norton” became the darling of San Francisco city, which played along with his farce. (Even the U.S. Census listed Norton’s official occupation as “Emperor.”)

Upper class restaurants granted him free meals. Businesses honored his fake currency. Police officers saluted him as he passed. Mark Twain wrote an epitaph for the Emperor Norton's....dog.

All this for a man who was probably very insane.

Reading through the story of Emperor Norton, it causes me to wonder how much we delude ourselves that we are “alright,” when in fact, we’re not. How many of us parade through life like Emperor Norton, pretending that we're without problems and sweeping reality under the carpet? How many of us have friends who we encourage to live in delusion by ignoring the existence of their problems?

For instance, I have wondered about the nature of eating disorders. The media has been ablaze for years, blasting the fashion industry for using anorexic models. But I don’t think that runway models in New York City are the sole explanation for a girl in Kansas City who purges in order to remain thin.

I also read in a magazine that some research is underway for a brain implant that will eradicate depression—which is also tied in with eating disorders. Again, I think there is a deeper solution needed here than a brain chip, because the problem itself goes deeper than hormones and psychology. While doctors parade with pills to cure depression, they're ignoring the root issue behind eating disorders.
  • Over seven million Americans suffer from anorexia, a disorder where sufferers become emaciated, but refuse to eat for fear of gaining weight. There is a 6% death rate for anorexics. Half of those deaths are due to suicide.
  • Binge Eating is when a person eats almost uncontrollably.
  • Eating Disorder not Otherwise Specified is a type of eating disorder that is fairly self explanatory. Those who fanatically diet, fast, and purge but are not technically at an unhealthy weight may fall into this category

It is commonly assumed that eating disorders are mental problems. But could it be that this is an oversimplification of a complex issue? Could it be that eating disorders are not just hormone related, but related to the spiritual condition of the individual as well? Could it be that eating disorders are…sin?

When a girl stops eating altogether, neglecting her body so that she can find the approval of others, she isn’t placing obedience to God as her first priority. She’s not thinking, “I’m going to starve myself until I lose weight because I love God and want to honor Him first in my actions.” An anorexic who damages her body through self-inflicted starvation isn’t fasting for spiritual reasons. It’s a fast for the sake of reaching a self-set goal. For body image purposes. For selfish purposes. (1 Cor. 6:19)

Interestingly enough, the same goes for someone who is a binge eater, or a glutton. When approaching the kitchen cupboard for a food raid, her first thought isn’t “I’m eating this food because I’m hungry and food was given by God to provide nutrients for my body.” No. The idea here is to induce momentary pleasure by overeating and endangering the body’s long-term health with too much food. (Numbers 11:31-33, Proverbs 23:1-3)

These are both tragic conditions to be in. As someone who has struggled with both under-eating and over-eating, I’m not saying this lightly. But I believe it would be a disservice to perpetuate the idea that eating disorders are solely a matter of the brain. I could not look an anorexic girl in the eye and only say, “Take some antidepressants." Maybe she should—I don’t know.

But first, let me give her a hug and say, “God made you, loves you, and hates what you’re doing.” Don’t let that truth be swept under the carpet. Because in a flurry of psychiatric advice and dietary regulations, I don’t want this truth to be lost: there is a Healer who opened blind eyes and raised one little girl from the dead, and the realm of eating disorders is not beyond His jurisdiction. He's a God who still heals souls darkened by despair and self-focus. He is a God who is there.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-29)

If you are struggling with an eating disorder—whether binge eating, anorexia, purging, excessive dieting, you name it—please, please let your parents and/or a godly mentor know. Also, if we can be praying for you in this area, please email us.

Labels: ,