Thursday, June 19, 2008

'He Loves Thee Too Little...'

"This is the mind-set of the psalmist Asaph when he prays these radically God-exalting words: 'You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever' (Ps. 73:24-26).

....That must mean, first, that if every other good thing were lost, Asaph would still rejoice in God. And it must mean, second, that in and through all the other good things on earth and in heaven, Asaph sees God and loves Him. Everything is desired for what it shows of God. Augustine put it like this: 'He loves Thee too little who loves anything together with Thee which He loves not for Thy sake.'"

-John Piper, God is the Gospel