Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What's Next?

The most challenging moments of my life have been waiting periods: when my brother was in the hospital, waiting for progress to be made; when I finished highschool, waiting for the next thing; when the next thing came and went, and I had to buckle down and figure out what would be the next-next thing.

In such moments, there are truths of which I must be constantly reminded. Interestingly, they are each touched on in Psalm 39. Take a look:

1. God establishes our steps. He's in total control. Nothing escapes His view. None of our desires go unnoticed, and none of our circumstances are beyond His power to change.

"And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you." -Psalm 39:7

2. Waiting is never an excuse to waste time, or forget the brevity of our lives. Just because we're in between jobs or waiting for some door to open up, it doesn't mean we have a right to squander the time we've been given. We should do something.

"...my lifetime is as nothing before You. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!" -Psalm 39:4b

3. God doesn't promise we'll win the lottery, but He does promise a future hope and eternal purpose. God never promises that we'll be rich, famous, or have perfectly healthy, trial-free lives. Instead, He says that He's created us for His glory, and if we're His children, He'll also work out every detail of our lives for our good.

"O LORD, make me know my end..." -Psalm 39:4a

4. No period of time is ever useless if it is used for God. Even waiting periods can be used powerfully for our maturity and growth. We may feel like we're wasting away, but God can use our circumstances to set our eyes on Him, which is an issue that matters for eternity.

"Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; hold not your peace at my tears! For I am a sojourner with You, a guest, like all my fathers." -Psalm 39:12

Are you in a waiting period? What wisdom or verses have helped you?