Wednesday, November 04, 2009

He Said, she said



"Train yourself up in godliness," You say, "for godliness with contentment is great gain, not only to yourself but the people around you. Plus, there's eternal reward involved."

So I say, "Sure" and have at it for oh, two hours. I know the rote rules of godliness: Read the Bible. Pray for a little while. Read a devotional, maybe. Make sure you've tithed or fasted or done something servantful recently.

But in the quiet, I know better.

Jim Elliot scattered reflections in his journal, "The tendency is to go to Egypt as our fathers have done, even as was Isaac's case. There is a river which does not fail; seemingly Egypt is without famine. But God wants me to find my satisfaction in wells in a famished land..."

Satisfaction. Satisfaction in a well? Surely the ancient imagery can translate for modern sensibilities. I say, "There is an unfailing source of food...somewhere. In Egypt, I hear they have self re-filling grocery aisles, while around here, people are scraping the bottom of the food pantry. I've gotta ask, can God fill my hunger?"

Can God fill my hunger? Hunger. I have pictures in my brain of that word. The pains of stomach walls imploding. Starvation; little distended stomachs from photographs of children eating bugs from the ground. Is that what I look like on the inside?

"Train yourself up in godliness," You say, and I think that is somehow related to the hunger.
Besides, what's the point of reading, praying, or even fasting if that soul-hunger is unaddressed? Isn't the assuaging of hunger the whole point? Or maybe...just maybe...hunger is the leash that trains us to godliness.

After reading a gem of a book entitled The Life of God in the Soul of Man, George Whitefield described his state: "O what a ray of divine life did then break in upon my soul! I fell awriting... I laid aside all trifling conversation. I put all trifling books away, and was determined to study to be a saint, and then to be a scholar. From that moment God has been carrying on His blessed work in my soul."

Sounds like godliness to me--though described in a way a mind accustomed to 3 Step Plans might marvel at. The opening of a shaft of light that illuminates hunger like a storm of dust particles caught midair. A godliness that does not only satisfy the hunger, but whets it as well. A godliness that starts with a refreshed soul, and moves on from there, wracking every conversation and written word with truth and heavenly urgency.

There is a river which does not fail, and reading the Bible and praying is only carrying a cup to its banks. We must search You out to be satisfied. We must want You to find You.

"Train yourself up in godliness," You say, and I think I know what You mean.