Thursday, November 19, 2009



Everyone seems to know the up and up about Twilight--be them lovers or haters. The film adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's novel (a vampire-human love story) released last November to largely adoring audiences. Tomorrow, we're in for a similar ride, as the sequel (now a vampire-human-werewolf love triangle) is set to hit theaters. With this déjà vu, some old Beauty from the Heart posts came back to mind:

Lindsey brought up a point at the first Twilight series release that's worth re-visiting.
She quoted God's Missionary, by Amy Carmichael:
Do we never hear the question "What is the harm of it?" asked about reading certain books, following certain pursuits, taking our recreation in certain ways? Perhaps... we need change of thought and rest of brain. "What is the harm of the latest novel, even if it happens to be rather unprofitable?" And we (who have not time to read one out of a thousand of the real books that have been written) spend a precious hour by deliberate choice over something not worthwhile; and when our immediate world interrupts us, breaking in upon us with some call, do we find that we come back to it with quite undistracted gladness?
...."Surely there is no harm in recreation?" To this question we answer, "No, if by recreation is meant re-equipment for future work with no leakage of spiritual power." We must have a fresh influx of life for both soul and body, or we shall dry up and become deserts in a desert. But where are our fresh springs to be? That is the main question.

"All my fresh springs are in Thee." Can we say so truthfully? Or is it not a fact that-- with some of us at least-- certain forms of recreation have, perhaps quite insensibly to us, got out of their place, and hinder, rather than help, all-round robustness
of life?

Because Twilight is so crazy-popular, it is an obvious target, but the need for discernment applies to everything we give time to. The question of discernment not only applies to movies we watch but songs on the radio ("Is that Katy Perry song okay?") or even internet activities ("Do I really need to Twitter sixteen times a day?").

Regarding music, Proverbs 25:20 says "Whoever sings songs to a heavy heart is like one who takes off a garment on a cold day, and like vinegar on soda." Ever notice that when you're feeling depressed, a good break-up song can make you feel more so? Music has power. Don't underestimate it.

In the same way, books can potentially help us understand God better--or other kinds of books can potentially desensitize us to unbiblical philosophies and ethics. I don't need to list the dangers; you are likely very aware.



Another BftH oldie made me think of something I hadn't considered for a while:

"In forty years, I’ll be fifty-eight. 58. It seems like a long time, but judging how quickly the past eighteen years have traveled, it may arrive faster than I think—if I even make it that long. (According to deathclock.com, I have 1,900,316,800 seconds left to live...and counting down.)

I’m not trying to sound dark—but it does make me think. How am I spending my time? Specifically, I’ve been considering books and movies. How many movies have I watched that simply weren't worth the minutes? What about books? Although I don't spend nearly the amount of time the average American does on entertainment (6 hours per day!), that isn't saying much.

What do you think? I’m curious—what is your criteria for approving of a movie or book to spend time on? I’m not just asking how you gauge if something is appropriate, but whether it’s worth it."

Hmm. Looks like a question worth re-asking myself.