Monday, March 16, 2009

Some Thoughts


God has gotten through to me on something which I want to share with you; partly because I think it may bless you as well, and partly because I'm needing to put these thoughts into words.

As was sitting at my computer, vexed that no brilliant words were magically appearing on the empty document before me, it hit me again. Words have their limit. They're only impressive to an extent. Eventually, words run out of power and ability to express the deepest truths of eternity. Attempting to write about God, what can I do to make my message super-duper amazing? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I can do n-o-t-h-i-n-g. Frankly, because all I have are finite words attempting to explain an infinite truth I cannot fully grasp myself.

For example, I was recently thinking about a book that has done very well. I’d heard a lot of hype about how wonderful and convicting the book was, but when I read through parts of it myself, I was very unimpressed. The author’s language and examples didn't have a unique zing to them, in my opinion. Where was the power? They were ordinary thoughts. But the book is brilliant anyway and it's continuing to change lives. Why? Not because of the human ability behind it, but because God chose to bless the book and made the words meaningful in the lives of its readers.

I suspect that any literature of spiritual value throughout the centuries not directly inspired of the Holy Spirit was looked at by its authors as an incomplete skimming of the surface of truth. Our words are weak.

The interesting thing is, it's pride to think that any of our finite attempts at greatness will actually be great. We are doomed to futility, except God chooses to bring glory to Himself through our words, causing what we have made to transcend into a realm of eternal significance. Not because we are great. Not because our words echo across cultures. Not because we do a single impressive thing. But because we are empty vessels and He fills us with Himself--so that the surpassing greatness of the power would be from Him and not from ourselves.

Psalm 29:9 says the voice of the Lord twists the oaks and strips the forests bare and makes all in His temple cry “Glory!” I don't want to be at odds with God (especially One like that!) I don’t want to challenge Him at every turn with a rebellious, demanding heart. Waiting on Him must be far, far better. Asking Him to fill me must be what's best.

Oh, please understand what I'm trying to say! While I've referred mostly to words because that is what applies most to me at the moment, I believe this is true of anything we do--be it in missions or waiting for a future husband for that matter. God is sovereign. Let's not fight Him for our futures.

Yet this isn't an excuse for apathy. I'm reminded of Jacob who wrestled with the pre-incarnate Son of God. When he discovered the identity of his opponent, Jacob then exclaimed, “I won't let You go unless You bless me!” That took guts, and God honored his initiative, blessing Jacob; but the blessing wasn't entirely what Jacob bargained for, being also blessed for the rest of his life with a dislocated hip. I think God instilled that “thorn in the flesh” as a reminder--Jacob was a finite human being who benefited from the blessing of an all-powerful, holy God...and with every labored step he took throughout his life, he could never forget the power that ultimately ruled over him.

So take the initiative. Work. But I'm learning that it's God --it really, really, really is God-- who supplies results.