Friday, January 12, 2007

New Sunrise, New Mercies

For once, I woke up early. I hadn't planned on watching the sunrise, but it captured my attention immediately after opening my eyes. As the golden light emerged, I watched the soft blue-gray hues cascade into majestic rays of red and pink above the rooftops. Simple colors blended together, yet I found it beautifully complete. And despite the chilly winter temperatures, this sunrise brought tremendous warmth to the day and my thoughts.

Not only am I grateful to see the sun, but to me, a sunrise speaks volumes. It speaks of Him, a single Source of light that transforms the vast emptiness into something brilliant.

Every time the sun rises, it marks a new day - a new beginning. Faithfully, God has given us another day to live for Him, filled with His mercy. Each sunrise presents another chance for us to be a ray of light in His day. As we shine with the love of Jesus, we don't know how far our rays will extend or what colors will blend together, but the Lord knows. Our lives, blended together, are His palette to paint a majestic sunrise each day. A single Source that transforms the vast emptiness into something brilliant.

The hymn Great is Thy Faithfulness came immediately to mind (emphasis mine).

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Silently, I began to rejoice. He has given me, a poor sinner, another chance - another sunrise.
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. -Psalm 8:1
And God so gently but firmly said, "I have given you another day, join the sunrise and proclaim My name in all the earth."