Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What is femininity?

When I was little, I wanted to be a tomboy. "Girly-girls," in my opinion, were the ones who were fascinated with Barbie and Ken, and wore makeup. I never wanted to be too dainty to build forts and play tag. Besides, pink was my least favorite color. I was destined to be a tomboy, right?
Wrong. I never achieved my dream of becoming a tomboy, partially because I dislike sports, and partially because, in spite of myself at times, I was a girl.
But now I look back and see, my whole point of view about what it meant to be feminine was flawed. If girlhood were defined as I defined it, by fingernail polish, skirts and earrings, then the essence of girlhood would only be skin deep. But there is much more to it. True femininity is based on the possession of virtues appropriate for a godly woman to have.
In the following posts, Kristin and I will be writing on certain aspects of biblical femininity and digging further into this subject, so stay tuned!

posted by Hannah