Tuesday, June 02, 2009

"We Are Still Yours..."

A love is ringing in my ears.
I have been taken by the One
Who I was made to love.
Captured free.
Through violent force I was consumed
By the Great Affection.
Eaten, swallowed whole
Til I am no more;
Once again subdued
By the terrible, unutterable
Tenderness of God.
How could any other way be half so sweet?

A new song has been posted on the Beauty from the Heart Band Virb page! In case you didn't see the update, this worship album is a project that we're excited to be releasing at our conferences this June. The music was chiefly written and performed by Naomi Lumpkin and Gabrielle Elliot, two dear gals who are helping lead worship at the conferences.

The new song, entitled "Half So Sweet" is based on two free verse poems, one of which is pasted above and another, which is here. Tell me what you think:

At the oceans edge
My feet wandered o'er white sand
Shells bit at my feet
The houses of dead clams--
But everything around me screamed
"ALIVE!"

It's funny to think; to sit upon a beach
Watch the water thunder
Collapse breathlessly at my feet
Foam swirling with lethal power on waves
Tickle my toes

I have floated thus far.
I have lost sight of the lights.
I have known loneliness to bite
When we are most weak.

And still...
When I find myself crippled on the sand
Waves licking at my ears,
Threatening to suck me in,
The heart still beats.

I have found (oh, at last!)
I have found the Joy
Not in sunlit skies or rainbows
Not in waves subservient to my will
I have found the Joy
In the unlikeliest places

On the sand

In the rain

When we are still Yours

In spite of everything.