Monday, November 17, 2008

Thoughts From a Tea Bag




As I hunkered down with J.I. Packer's Knowing God, I noticed my tea mug contained a message. Printed on the tea bag's tail were the words, "Calm is the highest achievement of the self."

Really? The highest achievement?

Ironically, the portion of Knowing God I had just read was how those who know God have energy for Him. I had also recently read of Christ's example in John 2, when He cleared the temple of business transactions: "So He made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; He scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables....His disciples remembered that it is written: 'Zeal for Your house will consume Me.'"

Of the true calmness resulting from trust in God, I'm sure I could use more. But the kind of calmness that comes from rationalizing away sin, and not feeling the pain of others-- I want to lose any semblance of that sort of calm. I want to echo Jim Elliot in his diary: "I covenanted with the Father that He would do either of two things: either glorify Himself to the utmost in me or slay me. By His grace I shall not have His second best."

Recent posts:


Free Book

1,900,316,800 Seconds

Even the Colors Cry Out

Labels: ,